Appointed January 1, 2019
Term expires December 31, 2022
Denise Burgess is the President and CEO of Burgess Services, LLC, a Denver-based construction management firm. The daughter of the late Clyde Burgess, founder of Burgess Heating and Air Conditioning, Denise became interested in business at an early age as she watched her father thrive in the ultra-competitive construction industry.
正规体育投注With no intentions of joining the family business, Denise earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism at the University of Northern Colorado. After graduating from college, she was hired by the Aurora Sentinel and later KS10.75 in their advertising sales departments. She later relocated to San Diego, where she managed a popular radio station. While in San Diego, Denise had a child, which ushered in a host of new priorities in her life, including providing financial stability for her child.
Upon returning to Colorado in 1994, Denise joined the family business, which provided her the opportunity to work alongside her father and business mentor until his untimely passing in 2002.
正规体育投注Denise’s career skyrocketed after she transitioned her father’s heating and air condition business into a nationwide firm, specializing in construction management, commissioning and quality assurance/quality control. Denise received her certificate in construction management from the University of Denver and credits her degree in journalism with preparing her for the extensive amount of writing that is required in the construction industry. Major Projects include: Wellington Webb Building, DIA Westin Hotel, and the Denver Justice Center. Out of State Projects include the Southern District Corp of Engineers Headquarters in Miami, Fl.
正规体育投注Although Denise’s father instilled in her a strong work ethic, he also stressed to her the importance of giving back to the community. Never taking anything for granted, Denise regularly takes time out of her busy schedule to give back to the Denver community both personally and professionally. Her current community involvement activities and most recent service awards include the following:
- Member of Building a Better Colorado (2017 – Present)
- Chair of Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce (2017-2018)
- Appointed Co-Chairman for the City of Denver’s Construction Empowerment Initiative/Disparity Study Task Force (2012)
- Member of Political and Business Leaders Delegation to the White House (2012)
- Chairman of the Denver Urban Renewal Authority (2009 – 2011)
- Denver Urban Renewal Authority Commissioner (2004-2012)
- Colorado Black Hall of Fame Inductee (2018)
- David E. Bailey Small Business Advocate Award (2017)
- Colorado Women’s Chamber of Commerce Top 25 Most Powerful Women (2014)
- The Network Journal’s 25 Influential Black Women in Business Award (2014)
- Girl Scouts of Colorado Women of Distinction Award (2013)
- Finalist Denver Business Journal Power Book in Construction and Engineering Category (2009)
- The Clara Brown Women Pioneer Award, Colorado Black Chamber of Commerce (2004)
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian Award (2002)
- District excellence award from the Small Business Administration (1999)